Tuesday, August 11, 2009

my culture..the ibanese..


this is me wearing the iban traditional costume..hehe..this is during the Gawai Dinner at Betong (2008)..this costume called "ngepan iban" which is only for a lady/girl..from head to toe,there is "sugu tinggi" that i wear at my head..at my shoulder,there is "marik empang" which is can be made with a different pattern..at my arm,we called it "tumpa" which is can be use more or less depend on the person..hehe..i always used more than 10 pairs at both side of my arms..the things that i hold at my hands are "buah pauh"..the things that hanging at my waist are "rawai", "lampit",which is same as belt.."tating" was made by coins.."kain selampai" which is like a shawl but sometime it has a round small bell called "gerunung"..the woven that i wear called "kain tating" which also can be made with a different pattern..the "ngepan" that i used was still not complete because there are more that i didn't wear..this is the simple "ngepan iban" that i wear..


this is a sword that was made by my beloved grandfather..this sword's name is "Langgai Tingngang"..i dont know what it's mean..hehe..the sword's hair (hehe) made from "bulu iku chapi"..means the fur of buffalo's tail..hehe..it's more like human's hair..haha..this is one of my grandfather's collections..there is more..wait and see k..


this is my beloved grandfather who is making "piring"..he made the "piring" to give a meal for the spirit..i don't know about the spirit..hehe..there are a lot of different things to make a "piring"..such as "asi ketupat,telur,kuih penganan,sagun" even the popcorn,which is we called it "letup"..also "buah pinang,daun sirih,semakau (tobacco)..hehe..

this is my great beloved "aki" (grandfather)..he is an ex-chancellor also ex-"tuai rumah" of my long house..im proud to announce his name is Banyi ak Layong..he has a lot of talents & knowledges..wow..hehe..most of my friends who often saw this picture said that im a sweet grandfather's grand daughter..because i have a similar look with my grandfather..hehe..waseeehhh...but it's true..just see it by yourself...im so proud to be my grandfather's descent..hehe...the girl who next to my grandfather is my cousin,Barbara Ranut..

this is my sweet "inik" (grandmother)..her name is Kuni ak Ikom..my friends also said that my face also similar to my nenek..wwooo...that's mean im a beloved grand daughter...but it's true..hehe..my grandparents love me more...


this sword and "sangkuh" (spear) belong to my aunty..it also made by my grandfather..wwooo...so creative hah..there's also a blowpipe but i didn't took its picture..

and here we are...those are belong to our family..each of this was made by my grandfaher for each of us..those are half of his collections...wwoooo...hehe...there are more...hehe...but he already gave it to our relatives...
the skulls...wwooo.....i didn't know the skulls are belong to whom..hehe..but i think they died with a thriller way like a resident evil movie..or final destination movie...or else..ngeeee....so horror...the skulls become black because sometime they "salai" (grill) the skulls...this skulls are about more than i don't know how much often the descents...soooooo lama sudah....hehe..


this is the view of my long house..Rh Uyok,Merunjau,Ulu padeh,Betong,Sarawak..this area we called it "ruai"...we will decorate the "ruai" to celebrate the ceremony...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Nama saya Mus, saya dapat view blog kamu dari search google 'iban'. Kebetulan saya sedang membuat projek akhir tahun di universiti mengenai Iban Game - saya menggunakan element dan budaya Iban di dalam game story saya. Mahu meminta pendapat serta info dari kamu mengenai permainan tradisional Iban, alat2 traditional Iban dan lain-lain. Harap kamu sudi membantu saya. Terima Kasih. Ini email saya : mus307@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. sory...aku tak perasan comment ko..is it too late for me to help you..??but im sory coz my laptop got a prob rite now..

    ReplyDelete